Monday, November 26, 2007

Down the memory lane....

I Can't beleive 8 years have gone since i completed schooling, 5 since i came out of PSG ! Still the thought of those days gets me on to a nostalgic avatar and my mind gets flooded with loads and loads of sweet memories. To me a weekend in coimbatore is more than I can ask for from a perfect weekend.

The moment i step there its like all the negatiives/worries in me are flushed out and i am fed with a new sense of hope, added dosage of energy and abundant enthusiasm and ofcourse an incredible quantity of youth!

The 28th and 29th of October was one such memorable weekends(rather a sunday and monday) i spent in cbe.. (Thanks to the grand wedding couple and may all their dreams come true!!).

After dumping my bags in AarVee i started off to go to my school.

Maths has always been a subject i loved and thought i could do well in it. I met my maths ma'am to whom i owe lot for getting me know the little maths i know today ( rather i knew on the day of the exam). When i neared the class room i could hear her voice. Same Arithmetic and Geometric progressions. Nothing seemed to have changed in the school and also in her. For a moment I thought i was still a student. I could hear her tell the usual "Can't you work without making noise" that she used with most of us. Not sure how many times i was on the receiving end, thanks to the old naughty boy in me.

The school has changed. Lots of trees , lots of greenary, new paints, changed organization of class rooms. My XII B was now IX A. The cricket ground was the same. The pic on the left shows a distant view of the cricket ground. Not a great wicket(infact there is no wicket.. we played on mats) But still it will have a special place in my heart. This was the ground i got my first fifty on. Man what a fun it was. I had been constantly getting out in the 30s that 50 had somehow become a non-reachable and an elusive figure to me. Reaching it for the first time was really a special moment with an able partner in tube(Vinod we called him tube) Dude i don't know where you are now but certainly miss our cricketing days. (Please note that i didnt get many 50s after that though, this was just the first of the few fifties i scored)

The roads of puliyakulam, Good Home apts we stayed are very very special to me. Everyday before i go to college i would go till puliyakulam to see ganni. That is Asia's largest pillaiyar if you didnt know. The picture on the left shows a the flat we stayed( the one next to the broken-window-flat) and the Puliyakulam pillaiyar. I still can't beleive he allowed me to take a snap in the temple.

Pic: The good home apt and the pillaiyar


Visit to PSG is always my routine. PSG is no-different from what it was when i left just that few more buildings have come up. The moment we step into the campus a sense of belongingness flows in. The days from 1999-2002 comes back. The days when Adz , Badri ,Rama and I used to rock!! (We still rock.. just that all of us are old and one has a new member in the family!!).


The prolonged kadalais at our tech beach as we used to call it. Man i feel i have really lost the capacity to fry nuts(Kadalai varukarthu) . May be i am too old for that now :-(. During college days you would see me there always!!:D





The NMB bakery and innumerable ragging sessions I have gone through amidst smoke and noise. That was during the cricketing days, when after practice sessions we will go to NMB with all senior guys and though i got lil irritated then now i feel that was real fun. Man now it has developed a lot. Lot of space inside and more importantly "Smoking banned"!!!!!. When we used to study NMB was a paradise for smoking and ofcourse ragging!!!



The famous "famous cafe". This was literally second home for Adz and me. We used to spend atleast 14 hrs a day together. 8.30 to 4.15 in college. At 4.15 go to famous( as we called it) Have sambar with idly.Have sambar with dosa. ( just note the emphasis on sambar there.. there have been days when i have ordered sambar alone!!). We used to love it. Namma asthana tiffen centre. The pambings when we see Nair sir or any other faculty was the best part. Then we will head to IBM ACE and from there to badri's room in cross cut road. One to two hrs of vetti manga there and then will head home

Well Time moves on!! But luckily we are all still what we were but for few responsibilities added, few kgs gained, few more worries but those wonderful moments are still with us to cherish!!!Looking forward to YAM in december!!

4 comments:

srijithunni said...

A Well compiled writeup of a complete dose of nostalgia you recieved.. Kadalai is still there in your blood man..! you`re just unstoppable at it..!
Yeah u had sambar alono and that badri used to have just sauce at NMB..! :)
Seriously fun days..!

have Fun, Take Care and God Bless..!

With Best Regards,
Srijith.

Rohith said...

Kadalai varukkurathu as in.... mokkai podarathu i supppose...

sreeshma said...

enjoyed this write-up.. Coimbatore is such a fab place man.. that one cant help but feel loyal abt it.. ur blog took me to days in Cbe..

Blog more!!

Unknown said...

Dude, total walk down the memory lane! Yeah Coimbatore is special man...every year when I come down to India, I have to pass by school almost 2-3 times a day coz my house is now just past school and is enroute to RS Puram. Each and every time I pass, I think of the time spent cycling there, sneaking around and it always brings a smile to me :)